What to do if a gun owner dies

BRIGHTON Beach SAPS warns residents to register inherited guns in accordance with the Firearms Control Act (60 of 2000).

“If you reside within the Brighton Beach policing precinct and you are in care of a deceased person’s firearm which is not registered under the holder’s name, you are in possession of an unlicensed firearm,” said media officer, Captain Louise Le Roux.

She urges people to hand the gun to police for destruction or to a registered firearms dealer or apply for a license for the gun, during which time it must be kept by a registered firearm dealer.

Contact the station’s designated firearms official (DFO) on 031-451-8084/2 or go to room L7 of Brighton Beach police station.

“We cannot accept firearms for destruction which are not from our policing precinct. Each police station has its own DFO office who will receive firearms for destruction purposes, and who will help with completion of applications for transfer of ownership.”
Do you have more information pertaining to this story?
Feel free to let us know by commenting on our facebook page or you can contact our newsroom on 031 903 2341 and speak to a journalist.

Click on the words highlighted in red to read more on this and related topics.
To receive news links via WhatsApp, send an invite to 061 876 3179
The Southlands Sun is also on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest – why not join us there?

Erin Hanekom

Latest News


Recommended Story x
Keep your child safe as school resumes

Thanx for your referral. We have no doubt your friends will love our newsletter as much as you!

Don't forget to verify your email.

to our FREE newsletter
SUBSCRIBE to our FREE newsletter.

SELECT your titles:

South Coast Sun
Southlands Sun

Your details:

Your friends: